The American Business Council launched its 2018 US Economic Impact Survey on the 18th of July, 2018.
ABC partnered with Accenture, KPMG, PwC and the US Embassy, to conduct a survey and assess the overall economic impact of US companies in Nigeria.
The survey reflects the contribution of 74 US companies operating in Nigeria and their responses reinforce the role the US plays in the economic health of Nigeria in the areas of job creation, investments in training and development, tax contribution, and corporate social responsibility, among others.
The event was kindly sponsored by Dow Chemical.
- The American Business Council and its partners, NESG and NACC presented a report on the 29th of June to the Minister for Industry Trade and Investment, Dr. Okechukwu on the Ease of Doing Business. The report is an outcome of the Ease of Doing Business Workshop held on the 4th of April - an open forum with technical experts from the Manufacturing, SME, ICT, Energy, Agriculture, Real Estate, Courier and HealthCare.
- American Business Council in partnership with the US Consulate, organized a US Business Visa Program on the 29th of June at the American Guest Quarters. The objective is to update members on the US Consular Business Affairs for US Multinationals and large Nigerian Companies that qualify and also create a platform for companies to deal directly with the Consular on expedient appointments issues and other queries. Members also proffered solutions to Government stakeholders from the Nigerian Immigration Service and NIPC who were in attendance on pending issues with the Visa-on -Arrival platform.
- The United States Ambassador to Nigeria Mr. W. Stuart Symington hosts Intellectual Property Rights Stakeholders on the 23rd of May 2018, at his residence
- The US Embassy and the ABC held a roundtable discussion on IPR on the 23rd of May at the US Embassy Abuja. The objective is to have both U.S. and Nigerian stakeholders of public and private sector to discuss strategies to promote protection, strategies to facilitate the enactment of the long awaited Copyright and IPCOM bill and increasing IPR enforcement activities.
- An official launch of the just concluded ‘Tech Entrepreneurship Ecosystems research’ by OC & C consultants in partnership with Ventures Platform Foundation and sponsored by Google held on the 24th of April at Ventures Park Abuja.
The report provides an in-depth study of the key trends and challenges in Nigeria's technology entrepreneurship ecosystem, and suggests policy recommendations for addressing some of the noted issues.
- The American Business Council recently held an FMCG media parley at the American Guest Quarters, Lagos to rub minds with the media on how Nigeria can become the West African Manufacturing hub through increased collaboration between Private Sector and Government and improved regulatory environment that will further encourage investments.
The Parley session highlighted further the need to have a more laser focus on IP issues, Counterfeits and Parallel Trade which impact government tax revenues and are derailleurs to Nigeria’s growth aspiration as a West African hub.
The event was kindly sponsored by Kimberly Clark.
- The US Consul General, John F Bray hosted Ambassador Stephanie Sullivan, Deputy Assistant Secretary Bureau of African Affairs on the 20th of April 2018, at his residence.
The American Business Council held a Breakfast Session on the Ease of Doing Business on the 4th of April, 2018 in partnership with NESG and NACC. The key objective of the meeting is to examine the Ease of Doing Business landscape post-recession with the aim of identifying new and or emerging challenges and agreeing on modalities to address same.
Outcomes of this session with the private sector will be presented to the Minister for Investment Trade and Investment as well as the Vice President as additional input into ongoing work by the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC).
- The US Consulate held a welcome reception for 5 new American Business Council members on the 15th of March, 2018 at the US Consul’s residence.
- The American Business Council of Nigeria held the inaugural Breakfast meeting on the 28th of February, 2018 with the DG of NAFDAC (National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control) Prof. Christianah
Mojisola Adeyeye as the guest speaker. The event coincided with her 90 days in office as the CEO of Nigeria’s Food and Drug Agency.
The Council organized the Breakfast session to create a platform for private sector engagement with the DG of NAFDAC in line with the key imperatives to drive regulatory reforms and explore ways that regulatory agencies like NAFDAC can improve the ease of doing business for member companies in FMCG and Pharma.
The American Business Council will facilitate working groups that will work alongside NAFDAC to improve the ease of doing business for the manufacturing sector as the key outcome of the event.
- ABC Breakfast Session on the Presidential Economic Diversification Initiative with the Senior Special Adviser to the President on Economic Transaction Matters, Mr Fola Oyeyinka as Speaker on December 15, 2017. The Presidential Economic Diversification Initiative(PEDI) designed by the President’ s Policy Delivery Unit in the Office of the Chief of Staff to engage State Governments and private sector investors develop transformative projects and revive moribund / abandoned economic assets across the country.
- Roundtable discussion with the Deputy Assistant Secretary at U.S. Department of Commerce held at General Electric's office at the Church Gate Plaza in Abuja
- The Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC) and the Federal Ministry of Industry Trade and Investment (MITI), in partnership with the US Department of Commerce organized the “US-Nigeria Business Dinner” at Transcorp Hilton Hotel on Monday 20 November 2017. The event was hosted by Nigeria’s Minister for Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah with member-companies of ABC in attendance.
- GE Vice chairman stresses the need for speed less bureaucracy and cavity building to drive localization at the 23rd Nigerian Economic Summit.
- Meeting with Congressional Delegation from the United States of America led by Senator Christopher Coons on Wednesday, 30 August at the American Guest Quarters , 16 Oyinkan Abayomi Drive , Ikoyi.
- Breakfast Meeting on Economic Recovery & Growth Plan and the 2017 Federal Government Budget with Hon Minister of Budget & Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma as Guest Speaker on Friday, July 28, 2017.
- The second meeting with the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria took place on Thursday, 6 July, 2016, in his conference room in Abuja .The ABC position paper on The Case for a Flexible Exchange Rate Regime in Nigeria prepared by the Ad-hoc Committee set up for the purpose was also forwarded to the Governor in advance.
- A High Level Delegation from the US Chamber of Commerce consisting of Scott Eisner, President of the US-Africa Business Center & Vice President for African Affairs, US Chamber of Commerce, and Leila Ndiaye, Senior Director Policy, Africa/International Division, USC held a meeting with member-companies of ABC on 28 June 2017.
- ABC Breakfast Sessionon “Progress on the Ease of Doing Business in Nigeria" with the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Okechukwu Enelamah as Guest Speaker on May 26, 2017. The event was kindly sponsored by GE Nigeria.
- ABC Panel Discussion on New Foreign Exchange Regime and Impact on Business In Nigeria on Thursday, July 14,2016. Panelists were, Aderonke Adetoro ,Citibank Nigeria Ltd, Thiery Mbimi, KPMG, Darrell McGraw, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, and Toyin Osungbesan , Accenture. It was chaired by Adeola Adetunji, Managing Director ,Coca-Cola Nig. Ltd.
- ABC Breakfast session on “Gas to Power Pipeline prospects” with Mrs Laila Ndiaye, Director, Policy, International Division, US Chamber of Commerce as Guest Speaker on June 7, 2016.
- ABC Breakfast Session on “Industry and Trade Agenda of the Nigerian Government" with the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Okechukwu Enelamah as Guest Speaker on May 6, 2016. The event was kindly sponsored by Procter and Gamble Nig. Ltd.
- ABC Breakfast Session on “Prospects For the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 2016/2017” with Mr Ade Bajomo , Executive Director, Market Operations and Technology, NSE, as Guest Speaker on April 27, 2016. The event was kindly sponsored by PriceWaterHouseCoopers.
- ABC Roundtable with U.S.Secretary of Commerce, Penny Pritzker, and Members of the President’s Adisory Council on Doing Business in Africa(PAC-DBIA) on January 25, 2016 at Intercontinental Hotel, Victoria Island
RECENT PROJECT REPORT
Report of Review of Guidelines for Nigerian Content Development in Information Communication Technology recently issued by Ministry of Communication Technology.
ABC coordinated series of meetings of US ICT companies to review the Guidelines, the outcome of which will be presented to the Minister of Communication Technology.
ONGOING PILOT PROJECTS
The rationale here is to identify very broad issues which have fundamental impact on Nigeria's long-term development . To this end , ABC will focus on the following pilot projects :
- Infrastructure-Power , Transportation, Seaports, Roads and Railways.
- Institution Building- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) .
- Education-Technical schools.